Thursday, January 19, 2012

Silly Estrogen.

Well, ladies, my estrogen dropped from 11,000 something down to 7,500!

They let me trigger last night, I started minocycline this morning, oh and my egg retrieval is tomorrow morning!

My doctor is super worried that I'll develop OHSS so I'm under close watch, they wanted me to stay close to Columbus but that is 2 hours away so I'll go home and if something happens, just head back to their hospital, if needed.

What a rollercoaster this entire week has been... up & down, cancelled & not cancelled, too high & perfect level... AHHH. I lost it in the IVF nurses office yesterday morning and she looked at me like I was insane. She made me feel stupid. Bitch, I've had cancer and now my ovaries/uterus hate me... this is TOO much for a 24 year old woman to deal with all within 3 damn years.

OH, remind me to tell you about something nice I did just to have it blow up in my face**

Anyway, for those curious, my ER is at 11:30am. I can't wait to wear the socks that Rebecca sent me tomorrow! I have to find it in me to calm myself down because I will be awake through this whole thing -- which is scary! I looked up some videos on ERs last night and it looks all crazy & high tech.


2012 is going to be my year... wanna know how I know? Because, TWO of my favorite bands are getting back together and releasing new cds! HELL YES. You can find out who they are HERE & HERE!   AHhhhHHHhHHHH!!!! :)



**Alright so for my story. I am a cancer survivor, as you all know... and there is a blog from another Melanoma survivor that I was fond of. She writes about her experiences and that is something that I wish that I would've done when I was sick. However, she hasn't gone through nearly as much as I did and has more energy then I EVER had. When I was sick, I just wanted my privacy and the least amount of stress as I could possibly have.

So what's the point of my rambling?


I messaged this girl on Facebook (she linked herself on her blog) and I thanked her for writing that blog and explained that I had Melanoma, too! She wrote me back and she goes "What do you mean you HAD Melanoma?" Uh, hello, I'm in remission... as in, I don't have cancer anymore. What the hell else would I mean? I went to her blog (which I am not going to post because I'm not THAT much of a bitch) and she had the nerve to write about the fucking message I sent her! That doesn't mean I won't copy and paste the crazy shit she said.

"Ironically, I have received a few emails recently from fellow melanoma warriors who state that they also "had" melanoma. This makes me nervous. Does their use of the past tense mean they believe they are in the clear? Do they follow up with their oncologists? Do they monitor their blood work? Or will they be the folks who find out about their reoccurance too late?"


Alright, let me vent here. She is judging me. Some girl is judging me for making a statement. So here goes: If the girl would've asked me she would know that I am 100% still cancer free. I see my oncologist every 3 damn months. I have more bloodwork done then she could ever imagine. And reoccurance, I keep an eye on my skin now. Can anyone say Debbie Downer?


IT JUST GETS BETTER THOUGH!

She then proceeded to post about how she asked other Melanoma survivors if they say they HAD or HAVE cancer... and there were 3 people she quoted saying that they will ALWAYS have cancer. Excuse me? If there is no evidence of disease, you do not have cancer! You have everything that goes along with having HAD cancer... exhaustion, worry, scares, and even the frantic calls to the cancer doctor begging for a CT scan because you want to be sure that you're still 100% cancer free. I know that at ANY of these scans, I could hear the words that my cancer is back... but according to the moles that I've had removed (FROM THAT AREA), my bloodwork, my x-rays, and the scans -- I . AM. CANCER. FREE.


I seriously think that this girl (and the ones that she quoted) are telling people that they still have cancer for the attention. I don't want the attention anymore! I didn't want it in the first place. They need to let it go -- they're cancer free, embrace that shit! Have a few drinks. ENJOY YOUR LIFE.


Okay, whew. Sorry for the rant, that really, rEEAAaalLLLYllLLYllylYYY stepped on my toes -- especially when I'm hopped up on hormones and anxiety.


I'll update tomorrow or Saturday with how the ER went and with the fertilization report. Thank you so much for the support on my last post. I genuinely believe the love that you ladies sent my way was my savior -- in sanity and in luck. 

11 comments:

  1. Lots of luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear your great report of how many eggs retrieved. I'm thinking about 26 eggs! Yup, you HAD cancer and are now NED. Saying you HAD cancer doesn't diminish it at all..it just shows where you got to, how you worked so hard, and how long you waited to say I HAD cancer! May you always be able to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow and you get a great report. My best friend survived hogkins lymphoma and I think she is truly amazing. She has to deal with alot of stupid questions about her cancer. All of our scars from treatment and everything she went through,it just blows me away. She was the same as you, not wanting attention for cancer. She is a true inspration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I can't believe that lady! AH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you all my luck for tomorrow!!! I am soooo excited for you! & I cant believe the nerve of that girl!!! How rude! I cant wait to see the sock picture and hear how everything went!! GOOOOOD LUCKKK!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed for you tomorrow Kayla! Very good news and I'm hoping much more news to come.

    Cancer is a tricky subject. You are correct in your assessment that once someone is in remission, they are considered cancer-free by the medical community. But there are patients who believe that they still have cancer while others never really look back. A lot of this has to do with the fact that reoccurrence does happen. But I think most of it has to do with fear that if they are not alert, it will sneak up on them again. That said, no one should belittle another person based on how they choice to live after entering remission. What this person did to you was very rude. Frankly, I wouldn't follow her blog anymore, because it's the tip of the iceberg and not what you need in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you all the best with your ER.

    RE: melanoma. We are not our "diseases" and they do NOT define us. I HAD melanoma and don't have it anymore. I do not define myself as "a survivor" because my case was so mild. My sister is a cancer survivor. She has one breast to prove it.

    I'm not in denial. I get my moles checked (and some removed) regularly. I use sunscreen and make my friends and family do so, too.

    Good grief!

    And I'm very happy you are CANCER FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FU mean girl! You are cancer free and proud of it!

    Good luck hun! I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha, I can't tell you how much I love that you tagged this post with bitches. You know what, those people are the ones who go one to have cancer again - the ones who make their lives about being victims. You are free and you are going to enjoy it. Screw her.

    And sooooo excited for you about the egg retrieval!!!!! Yay! Hope you get lots of perfect eggies and then have a relaxing sleep all day afterwards. I did get OHSS after my retrieval and quite bad, but I knew by the next day things were not good, I went from feeling great to soooo much pain. So hopefully you still feel great on Saturday and that you get to do your transfer in the next week! How crazy is that??!!!
    I can't wait to read all about it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that retrival is amazing, lots of great embryos, that you ward off the OHSS and get a great transfer and a baby or two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope everything went smoothly today. I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting news about your retrieval! I hope it goes fabulously! Mine will 'hopefully' be in a few days!

    As for the blog of that girl....I think you are spot-on for the purpose. One, why do something like that so publicly? If she was really concerned, she could have just emailed you back and suggested politely that you continue to be vigilant. (Duh. Like you WOULDN'T be????? Of course you would!)
    Two, who is she to be the authority and end all and be all on cancer?
    My mother died of breast cancer nearly 9 years ago.
    My sister has lupus and was supposed to not live past five years ago. Her lupus is really acting up now, and she is on chemo (and probably will be for the rest of her life off and on to keep the lupus under control) and also NED non-Hodgkin's. You better BELIEVE when she can shed any disgusting diagnosis, per doctor's confirmation, she DOES! Like you...she doesn't want to be a victim forever, but to be done with whatever she can be! She CELEBRATES NED and tries to move on with life because she knows there are no guarantees.
    Good for you.
    My first son died about half a day after he was born. There a lot of women in the "Babyloss" community who have helped me keep sanity, but sadly, I'll admit...there are some that feel that they will forever be entitled to special treatment or designation because of their loss. I just don't feel that way. My heart aches every day missing that baby boy of mine, but I just know that there are so, so, so many who suffer in this world. What makes me special that I wouldn't?
    Nothing.
    So, I just do the best with what I can, and am grateful for every little blessing I have. So much better to dwell on my BLESSINGS!

    Sorry for the ramble. Just came by for ICLW, but really appreciate your outlook.

    Oh, btw, have suffered OHSS as well. Had to go to hospital. I won't insult you by telling you to be sure you keep an eye on it, ha ha, but I will say that gatorade really made a huge difference for me! Hoping that won't even be an issue for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from ICLW. BEST OF LUCK on your IVF cycle! We are headed into our first in the Spring. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete